What’s so great about sardines you ask? Here’s a list of reasons why you may want to make sure you have some in your pantry at all times for a quick healthy snack:
1. Sardines are at the bottom of the food chain and hence supply fewer pollutants like mercury than larger top of the chain fish like tuna (for example)
2. Sardines are a great source of easy to digest protein (25 grams per 4 oz serving)
3. Because you eat the teeny tiny bones - sardines also provide a great source of calcium. Plus they also deliver vitamin D and phosphorus which, along with calcium are important for bone health.
4. Sardines are a fantastic source of vitamin B12
5. They are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids
6. Sardines are a portable snack - tins do not leak so you can have one in your bag for emergencies
7. Sardines are a sustainable fish particularly from Pacific waters (vs mediterannean which are a bit less sustainable).
A few things to watch out for when you are stocking up:
1. Make sure your sardines are either packed in water or in extra virgin olive oil - tomato sauce is ok but avoid vegetable oils, soy oil, canola etc….
2. Two of the brands that I like: Wild Planet (available at Whole Foods, Fiesta Farms and other health type stores) and Vital Choice (vitalchoice.com) - this brand also happens to provide the BEST canned salmon I have ever had but I will save that for a future post.