OUR MISSION IS TO GROW COMMUNITY THROUGH PHYSICAL CULTURE & MINDFUL LIVING.
Start your career at Academy of Lions. Coaching has been the pillar of our success and is essential to continued strength & growth. Our process for on-boarding new coaches has been crafted to ensure that members receive the best quality experience and trust the people who are guiding them along their journey. We do not rush to hire coaches, instead preferring to work with talented & passionate individuals who are willing to be patient and learn the right way.
Please review the details and submit your application today!
INTERNS & APPRENTICES
Prior to becoming a part-time or full time coach at Academy of Lions, all candidates are required to go through a 2-6 months apprenticeship and demonstrate their competency, professionalism and above all care for the members of our community. Consistent education, mentorship and reviews are provided by coaching staff and management to ensure the process is successful, meaningful and full of learning.
Simply put, candidates who qualify for apprenticeship via our 3-stage benchmarking system will be put on course to be provided paid coaching opportunities within 2-6 months.
Those who are not ready to coach within 6 months, but still demonstrate skills, commitment and drive can begin the coaching journey as interns. Internship lasts 6 months and once completed, candidates are eligible for apprenticeship and paid professional coaching opportunities at the Academy.
THE COMBINE: HOW WE IDENTIFY GREAT FUTURE COACHES & LEADERS
All candidates are screened via a 3-stage benchmarking process called the “combine.” In this session, all candidates complete the following:
- Physical test via 7-10 different physical benchmarks as to demonstrate their knowledge, skill and capacity at certain movements essential to CrossFit, Olympic weightlifting, power lifting, gymnastics, and strength & conditioning.
- Knowledge test consisting of multiple choice, short answers & essay questions.
- Interview & discussion focusing on personal values, philosophy, goals & understanding of Academy of Lions' history & future.
Performance in these 3 categories will determine your eligibility for either internship or apprenticeship and how long the terms will be.
We look for well rounded people who show a desire to learn and keep learning. Having a low performance in one of the 3 areas does not disqualify you from becoming an intern or apprentice, it just means you will have to work to bring your skills & knowledge to that level over a 2-6 months period.
INTERNSHIPS & APPRENTICESHIP TERMS
- 6 months term for internships. 2-6 months for apprenticeship (depending on combine results)
- 2 months probation period
- Academy option to renew agreement at 6 months for further internship or to progress to coaching apprenticeship.
- Schedule 3 AM or PM shifts per/week (10-12 hours/week)
- Work with 1-2 other Academy teams to learn different areas of the business/brand:
- Operations team
- Media team
- Member experience team
- Social committee
Interns & apprentices have full access to the gym and services afforded to members. They can also gain access to additional services and teams once probation and performance benchmarks are cleared
BE PART OF IT
EVALUATIONS & SUCCESS
Monthly panel evaluation with team leaders for the following:
- Compliance with schedule
- Completion of assigned tasks
- Attitude and positive cultural contribution
- Progress & performance in benchmarks
AWARDS, OPPORTUNITIES & VALUE
- During internship or apprenticeship, full access, at no charge, to Academy of Lions classes, workshops, personal development opportunities, events and co-working space.
- Upon completion of the 6 month internship, a certificate of achievement will be granted along with any reference letters needed for future opportunities.
- Scholarships for Agatsu certifications may be awarded based on performance, evaluations and commitment to further opportunities within the Academy. These are valued between $500-$1500.
- Opportunities for relevant and meaningful courses, seminars and enrichment opportunities within the Academy.
- Opportunities for coaching apprenticeship and coaching employment after internship term is successfully completed.
CONTACT & SUBMISSIONS
Please direct questions and submissions to director of operations:
Jed Cabilete / email@example.com
GOALS OF THE COACHING PROGRAM
- Offer our interns & apprentices educational and mentorship experiences to assist in the development of coaching, leadership and entrepreneurship skills.
- Introduce interns & apprentices to the Academy community gradually to earn trust, respect and pave the way for future opportunities within the Academy community.
- Expose interns & apprentices to athletic opportunities within CrossFit, endurance, Olympic lifting, power lifting and running in order to assist to develop our competitive programs.
- Educate and mentor apprentices within our system and create future coaches that will have long and meaningful careers within the Academy of Lions organization.
Established in 2008, we have grown to be recognized as one of the best CrossFit & physical culture organizations in the world. We’ve been voted best in Toronto by blogTO and Toronto Life Magazine and continue to be acknowledged for being innovative, caring and passionate about our community. Being part of the Academy means something for both members and staff.
OUR VISION FOR COACHING
Our community is entirely dependent on strong relationships. Coaching has been the pillar of our success and is essential to continued strength & growth. Our process for on-boarding new coaches has been crafted to ensure that members receive the best quality experience and trust the people who are guiding them along their journey. We do not rush to hire coaches, instead preferring to work with talented & passionate individuals who are willing to be patient and learn the right way.
- No complaining
- Always protect the team
- Show-up early