BY NATHALIE NIDDAM | ACADEMY OF LIONS HOLISTIC NUTRITIONIST
s Summer (finally) kicks into full swing I thought it might be helpful to review the importance of hydration for our community of athletes. We often think about food but it is easy to forget about proper hydration - it can make a huge difference to both your performance and recovery.
Here are a few things to remember:
- Your hydration status can and will affect your performance
- Chugging a litre of water 1 hour before running in to do your WOD if you are dehydrated does not mean you are hydrated. If you were dehydrated beforehand, you will just end up still dehydrated and needing to run to the bathroom in the middle of your workout.
- The need to be hydrated for workouts feeds in to the need to be hydrated for life in general. Aim to drink about 32 oz per day plus an extra 8 oz for every caffeinated or sugary drink you consume.
- On hot days especially add a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to your water to help your body replace lost minerals and hold on to the water.
- During your workout if it is hot and you know you sweat buckets - aim for about 6-8 oz of fluid per 15-20 minutes….again, a pinch of salt and lemon juice can come in handy here as well. Obviously not an issue on those short AMRAP days.
- For really long workouts - drink another 1/2 to full litre of water post workout.
Stay cool and have an awesome summer!!