1. How did you get started with us at the Academy of Lions?
I was driving by and saw people doing amazing things. I knew I had to try it out. I signed up for the free trial and got my butt kicked. That's when I knew I found something special. During the free trial I met someone that also loved it and we decided to start a boot camp. That was 5 years ago and we've been going strong.
2. What was your main form of physical activity prior to getting involved in CrossFit training?
I have always been a very active kid. Growing up in Chile you were always either playing in the streets or on the soccer field. As I got older I discovered Capoeira, which I trained and taught for 10 years. This gave me the opportunity to travel to Brazil several times. After Capoeira I trained Jiujitsu for 4 years. It was a great way to really discover and understand body awareness. I was awarded a blue belt under the Carlson Gracie team.
3. What other things do you like to do outside the gym?
Besides CrossFit I love spending time with my family and friends. I also love just hanging out with my dog. I think having a close bond with family is super important, that's why I'm so drawn to the Academy. The sense of community is so strong here that everybody feels like family.
4. Have you been to other Crossfit gyms?
When I first started crossfit I went to other gyms to see if there are other gyms that were better suited to me. None of the other places I visited had that strong sense of community I found at the Academy. I also had the opportunity to train in Costa Rica during my honeymoon. Training close to a beach, in the beautiful heat was incredible.
5. What was your biggest accomplishment at the Academy? Do you have any new goals you wish to achieve?
This might sound cheesy but my biggest accomplishment at the academy is discovering how mentally and physically strong I really am. Before joining CrossFit I was under the impression I was at my strongest but I soon found out that I had much more in me. My goals are to keep learning and always keep active. Always trying to be a better version of myself.
6. What kind of nutritional lifestyle do you follow?
I have always been a big fan of food. Specially pastries. But when I started CrossFit I knew that I had to start watching what I eat. I tried to follow the Paleo diet very strictly but found out it doesn't really work for me. So now I try to eat 70% Paleo and 30% just living life. Damn I love those pastries.
7. You have recently ended your job in the pharmaceutical industry and working on becoming a coach at the Academy. What drove you to make this big change?
Being a coach is something that I've been interested for a while but I had a really good job that was hard to leave. My employer and I did not see eye to eye and decided to go our separate ways. This gave me the push and motivation to pursue Coaching. It was a scary and emotional change but I'm so happy that I will do something I love.
8. Why did you choose to pursue Coaching?
I have always had a desire to help people. In my previous career I did this but in a very indirect way. With coaching I want see the look in people's faces when they archive a personal best or something that they thought was impossible. I want to help them grow physically and mentally.
9. Could you please tell us something we don’t know about you?
I'm a big sucker for romantic comedies. The Notebook is one of my favorite movies. Don't judge...lol
10. If you had a bucket list, what would be the top 3 things you’d like to accomplish?
1. Travel to Egypt and explore the pyramids or any ancient ruin
2. Learn to fly a plane
3. Sky dive