WRITTEN BY NATHALIE | ACADEMY OF LIONS NUTRITIONIST | TORONTO
Why the mystery? Because by the time you are done blending this beauty you will never believe that it tastes like strawberries - it will look like a classic green shake. But close your eyes and take a gulp, see? Strawberries!
- 1 to 1.5 cups of almond or hemp or coconut milk - organic and unsweetened
- 1 packed cup of baby spinach or lightly steamed kale
- 1/2 cup of Strawberries (this time of year frozen are your best bet - you can use a bit more if you like)
- 1/4 -1/2 an avocado (you won’t know it’s there other than the fact that your shake will be incredibly creamy
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of chia or flax or hemp seeds for extra fibre and omega 3 precursors
- MCT Oil - 1-2 Tablespoons depending on your tolerance (see below)
- Cinnamon - extremely helpful in steadying blood sugar levels.
- 1/2-1 tsp turmeric - note that this will give a bit of an “earthy” taste to your shake so depending on how sensitive your taste buds are you may or may not add this in.
- 1/4 - 1/2 celtic sea salt (grey!)
- 1 tsp Matcha Tea Powder for antioxidants & ECG’s plus all the cognitive benefits Matcha brings - calm focus being at the top of the list.
OPTIONS AFTER BLENDING
1 to 1.5 scoops of whatever protein powder you are using (I like Progressive or Garden of Life or even Omega Nutrition’s Pumpkin Protein - most important is to find one that you like - if it is Whey protein make sure that the Whey is organic and preferably from Grass Fed cows - New Zealand is usually the best source)
If you don’t want protein powder but do want to add amino acids for tissue and muscle repair and maintenance you can add 2 TBSP of Collagen Powder - I use either Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen or Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate. Both have zero taste and dissolve well so you will never know it’s there.
2 TBSP unsweetened shredded coconut - just cuz it tastes good and you can never really have enough coconut in your world plus it will encourage you to chew your shake which is important to help with optimal digestion.
No greens in the house? You can sub in a good greens powder like Amazing Grasses, Greens Plus Fermented Greens or Douglas Labs’ Greens & Reds.
Coconut Milk - Do not mistake the stuff sold in tetrapaks with the real thing - sure, in a pinch these are handy (just make sure to buy unsweetened and organic) but for the full creamy, dreamy experience of this shake try to use the canned full fat variety.
My fave is Native Forest as they use BPA free cans. Lob laws carries it in their organics section or you can buy it online for a better deal from naturamarket.com
Depending on how rich you want your shake to be you can either use anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 ratio of coconut milk to water. Use anywhere from 1/2- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
MCT Oil - The real stuff will supply you with ketones for energy - a fantastic source of fuel for your brain and most other tissues in the body. Not processed by the liver so immediately available. Just build up slowly as too much too soon can result in an emergency trip to the washroom (aka Disaster Pants Syndrome ‘nuff said). I like to use Bulletproof’s Brain Octane as it is pure C8 so 16x more concentrated source of ketone producing oil than just coconut oil. You can buy it online or contact me as I keep it in stock in my dispensary for clients.