Coach Warren Chow showing his moves for the Monday Mobility taught every week at 6:30PM
"Have Fun...make Friends." Kevin Locke shares his experience with the Lions League
Paluna Santamaria speaks about how Tune-In Nutrition came to be
Fellow Lion Mishka Alarcon shares her experience over 3 years CrossFitting
We wish the best of luck to Jenny McConnell!
Aug 13th, It is time for the Lion's Adventure Race!
- Our Annual Catch Us If You Can is the Adventure Style race at the Academy of Lions!
- Everyone can join (Yes, EEEVVERRYBODY!) no previous skills required, just pick your team of three and get yourselves ready for a day of puzzles, riddles and challenges!
- Registration this year if $7/person or $21/team of three!
As Summer (finally) kicks into full swing I thought it might be helpful to review the importance of hydration for our community of athletes. We often think about food but it is easy to forget about proper hydration - it can make a huge difference to both your performance and recovery.
I've always wanted to help people. But I didn’t always know exactly how. I knew I wanted to do something in the health science field but it wasn’t until I traveled for 3 months through South America that I decided to put my love for anatomy and physiology together with rehabilitation.
ON SATURDAY, JULY 29TH
COMPETE WITH PRIDE!
- Put your skills to the test in this mini-competition. (members and non-members)
- Each person contributes $30 with proceeds going towards The 519 Organization
- Three events will take place on the afternoon of the 29th with a mixture of individual and partner events (Don't worry we'll pick your partners for you!)
- Just an afternoon of good WODs, great community and all around fun!
After trying one metcon class I was hooked. My concerns about fitting in disappeared instantly, everyone there was welcoming and had varying levels of fitness and skill. I discovered that the only person I had to compete against was myself.
What is home? There’s over 4 million results when you ask Google - but a dictionary definition can't explain the feeling of walking in the front door and feeling safe, feeling like you belong, of really feeling home. So then, perhaps the question should be what makes a home? For me, home is the place that I can go and be both vulnerable and strong. Home isn’t a place, per say, but a community. I’ve grown up in countless different communities: from soccer to theatre, even my first job was with an organization that worked very hard to make it’s culture community based.
Join Academy member Joanna Gussmann & coach Ashley Monaghan June 4th for a self defense workshop at the Academy.
Each day, I am grateful to be alive and moving, there's no better way to spend it by taking care of my health through fitness.
Kettlebell FLOW is designed with the intent of kettlebell specificity. This means in order to become fluid with the bell you must constantly be using it. The use of kettlebells allows athletes to bridge the gap between their strength & cardio thresholds. The goal of the programming is not about finding a maximal weight, rather about learning how to move efficiently with weight.
It’s possible that when you saw the in-house announcement about the upcoming Paleo Challenge in June you became ridiculously excited - you’ve always wondered about doing something like this, this is the perfect time and place to do it!
Leafy greens should account for the greatest volume of food that you eat every day - sadly, for most people this is far from the case.
"I had always had a ridiculously competitive spirit (which got me into a lot of trouble with team sports and life in general growing up) and I needed an outlet in an individual-athlete’s sport. At first I had no idea what I was doing and couldn’t even do a single-under skip, never mind trying to punch, kick, elbow and not get hit. Being competitive and super stubborn, I showed up to Muay Thai classes every day, twice a day until I landed my first amateur fight and won"
IN A NUTSHELL...
- Put a team of 3 people together. (members, non-members, anyyyyyy body!!!)
- Each team contributes $30 ($10 per person) We will be accepting additional donations through the donation page and day of the event.
- Teams will help plant trees and flowers at Trinity Bellwoods followed by a workout with the Academy and snacks/refreshements from Flow and Grow Op!
- All money raised will go to the World Wildlife Fund for Earth Day!